One of the most important ways is to volunteer to be on a team that will go into the prison to share Christ’s love with inmates. You don’t have to have been on a street weekend (Walk to Emmaus, Tres Dias, Cursillo) in order to participate in Kairos, but you will need the training necessary to become a team member.
Contact Us To Receive More Information and Find the Place Closest To You. Click the following link or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Inmates refer to our volunteers as “the ones that come back.” Below is a typical “Year in the Life” of a Kairos Volunteer includes the following areas of service:
– Training and Team building of the Volunteer Team – approx 43 hrs
– Other preparation (writing letters, fundraising, making cookies, etc.) – approx 20 hrs
– Program inside the prison – approx 42 hrs
– Instructional Reuninon inside the prison – approx 8.5 hrs
– Continuing ministry – approx 24 hrs (2 hrs per month)
– 2-day retreat – approx 22 hrs
– Travel – approx 34.5 hrs (1.5 hours for each meeting)
Agape is a Greek word that roughly translates to an unconditional gift. You may have heard the term “Agape Love” which refers to unconditional love or the kind of love that God has for us. For Kairos, Agape means cookies, brownies, children’s artwork, and whatever else the Kairos teams need to make the men and women participating in a Kairos weekend feel the love of God. There are plenty of different types of Agape that you can make or purchase to help. There are two types of Agape for expressing prayer and sacrifice for a Kairos event. We do not send Agape to Team members.
• Personal Agape Personal agape goes in the agape bag and consists of hand written letters only, no envelopes, signed and folded once with the Kairos weekend participants name and #, plus Dorm # on the outside. No printed tracts, crosses, religious items, scriptures, pamphlets, etc. are permitted. Please express forgiveness and love in your letter as well as your personal spiritual feeling and prayers for the participant. Children’s drawings on 8.5 x 11″ paper are always welcome and make a huge impact on the hearts of the participants. Children should include first name and age only for security purposes.
• General Agape It consists of Posters of any size on thin paper for easy folding & shipping or on 8.5 x 11 paper to be taped upon the wall of the Community Room that express your or the groups prayer and sacrifice. Please express forgiveness and love in your personal spiritual feeling and prayer for the Participants signed by all the senders. An unsigned letter has little or no value.
We continue to ask for your agape and we always need concrete symbols of agape in the form of artwork, letters, etc., please remember that the heart of agape is prayer. Your continued prayer for the ministry and for specific weekends is the best agape that you can provide.
All Kairos activities are covered with prayer. You can be a part of that prayer effort. Contact us!
Each Kairos retreat weekend has opportunities for outside support, such as baking cookies, writing letters of support, or preparing meals. Get your church’s Sunday school classes to color placemats for mealtime in prison.
We need several thousand dozen cookies for a typical Kairos weekend. Homemade cookies are a tangible expression of Christian love and an indication of God’s concern for a group of people who seldom encounter either in the course of their daily lives. Your loving sacrifice will provide “bread” that shines the Light of God’s Grace into the darkest corners of a prison unit. May God bless you for the gift of baking!